Just like you and me, trees are living organisms; meaning they can get sick, go through cycles, have problems, or experience unexplained issues.
One “condition” or “syndrome” a tree can have is sudden branch drop syndrome, which is exactly how it sounds. The tree drops branches onto the ground, suddenly. When this occurs, you cannot tell if another branch will fall again or not. If your tree dropped a branch or branches, this can be unsettling. You don’t want anyone or anything to get hurt. However, is sudden branch drop syndrome bad? Is the tree sick? Is it dying? Is this a normal thing for a tree to do?
Facts About Sudden Branch Drop Syndrome
- This syndrome is also known as sudden limb failure.
- It is known to occur often during the summer season, especially on hot days.
- The branches don’t fall from a storm or extreme wind – the branches fall, for seemingly no reason, on a calm day.
- A limb will break about three feet from the trunk of the tree due to its heaviness from this syndrome.
- The drop can occur up to 12 feet away from the trunk, which makes this syndrome extra dangerous.
- Branches that go through this syndrome are usually long and horizontal.
- Older trees go through this syndrome more than younger trees.
- Tree specialists and arborists have not been able to determine the exact cause of this syndrome.
- Some professionals believe this syndrome is caused by bacteria.
- Some professionals believe this syndrome is caused by moisture build up.
- Oak, elm, beech, redwood ash, sycamore, and eucalyptus trees are known to have sudden branch drop syndrome more than other varieties of trees.
- If a tree has been through this syndrome, it is likely to lose another branch this way again.
Call on Tree Care Services in Jacksonville, Fl
If you’re noticing a tree or trees dropping branches, you’ll want to call a tree professional to evaluate your tree as soon as possible. Sudden branch drop syndrome can be hazardous to you and your property.
Certified arborists know how to identify sudden branch drop syndrome and will let you know if the tree needs to be torn down.
Our team at Bushor’s Tree Surgeons will see if any other branches are compromised or weak. We will also check to see if the tree is under stress.
At Bushor’s Tree Surgeons, we know and love trees, and we do what we can to save the tree on your property. We’ve been in the tree business for more than 50 years, and we always strive to help you with all your tree needs.
We know how to care for Florida trees. Our four certified arborists ensure the highest quality of tree care in the city. If your tree has sudden branch drop syndrome or another disease, we will come up with a plan to treat the tree or remove it.
If you need help with a tree, Bushor’s Tree Surgeons are at your service. We are a tree service company based in Jacksonville, Florida, and service customers in Ponte Vedra Beach and St. Augustine, Florida. We offer tree trimming, tree removal, and tree disease treatment. Call us at 904-731-9100 or click our Tree Service Jacksonville Fl contact page to learn more and to set up an appointment with one of our certified arborists.